SnapShooter enables you to create and schedule backups for your MySQL databases using SnapShooters simple interface for scheduling, or you an go advanced and select CRON.
A big advantage of our MySQL backup product is the choice of backup storage location. You can backup to AWS S3, DigitalOcean Spaces, Backblaze, Wasibi, FileBase, and custom providers. Learn More
# How it Works
We securely connect to a server of your choosing via SSH. From there, we run a mysqldump command against your chosen database (which may or may not be on the same host). Once that command has completed, we compress the output and upload it to your storage provider.
We manage the process of creating and pruning of backups on a schedule, and provide tools to download or delete an individual MySQL database backup.
We take customer security very seriously at SnapShooter. Learn more about security at SnapShooter
- We connect to your server over SSH using a Public Private key pair
- You can whitelist our IP's IP whitelist
- All access keys and SSH keys are encrypted.
- We never store your database dump on our systems.
# Getting Setup
- From the MySQL area of the dashboard press Setup New MySQL Backup
- Provide the servers SSH details
- Friendly name for the backups
- SSH Host (IP or hostname)
- The SSH user (if you would like to setup a new user follow this guide)
- SSH port (Usually 22)
- SnapShooter will generate a key pair if requested or you can select existing
- Install the key pair
SnapShooter provides a command you can run to perform the installation.
- Test setup
- If everything worked as expected you will be asked for MySQL details. Otherwise, you will be displayed the output from the SSH connection to help you diagnose any SSH issues.
Provide Mysql Authentication details
- SnapShooter will check the connection and return a helpful error if something needs fixing.
- Select MySQL Database
- If the database you wish to back up is not appearing, make sure the supplied MySQL user has the correct permissions to view and use the database and then refresh the page.
- Choose Storage
- If you don't have an storage provider set up, you will be prompted to setup a new provider. here
- Select the storage provider you wish to use to store backups.
- If you only have one storage provider set up, that one will be chosen by default.
- Choose Schedule
- Depending on which plan you are on, the options might be different.
- Free users can only select daily backups.
- Choose how often you want backups to run.
- Choose timezone and time offset.
- Retention Policy
- Choose the number of backups you wish to store (only an option if you have scheduled more frequently than daily)
- Choose number of daily snapshots you wish to retain.
- Choose number of weekly snapshots you wish to retain.
- Choose number of monthly snapshots you wish to retain.